Since we did so much talking about food last week with Homemade Hippies we felt compelled to give you a recipe this week. Now, a Homemade Hippie is someone who holds their food up to a higher standard and that is why they don't settle for processed foods and will choose the best quality ingredients when making things themselves. Here we have provided for you a delicious family recipe that is a longtime favorite of the Untold Indy Lead Web Developer. Don't let the sour cream part scare you. It makes it super delicious and so much better than your average peach pie.
Pie Dough for a Double Crusted Pie
3 lbs peaches peeled and sliced
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 Tbls flour
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbls sugar combined with 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Press the bottom crust into your pie dish and place in your peaches.
2. Mix the sugar, salt, flour and sour cream. Pour over the peaches.
3. Sprinkle on top the cinnamon sugar.
4. Cover with a lattice or full top crust.
5. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes. Turn down the temperature to 350 and continue baking for 40 minutes longer or until golden.
To make this truly 'homemade,' go ahead and make the crust yourself. This really isn't as hard as it sounds. The secret is having very cold butter and liquid. One of our favorite crust recipes is Lucinda's Basic Pie Crust.
To make this 'hippie,' you should definitely go for local peaches. It is prime peach season in Indiana and so do yourself a favor and stop by the Farmer's Market for some fresh picked peaches to put in this pie. You won't regret it. You can also go for as many local or organic ingredients as you can get your hands on to get a gold star in 'hippie.'